Solar Systems Pakistan
- LED Light Bulbs, the future of our planet's lighting needs. Here we provide key information about the fast approaching wave of LED technology that will ensure a bright, energy-efficient future for Pakistan's homes and businesses.

Adapted from our friends at SYO Co.,

The future of household lighting will be the wide-spread adoption and use of the white energy-efficient LED light bulbs.
In the near future, white LED lighting applications will be powerful and cheap enough to replace incandescent lighting for everyday use in our homes, in street lights, outdoor signs, and offices.

Below are some of the advantages of LED lighting:




Long Life Span

The operational life of current white LED lamps is 50,000 hours.
This is 11 years of continuous operation, or 22 years of 50% operation.
The long operation life of an LED lamp is a stark contrast to the average life of an incandescent bulb, which is a mere 5,000 hours.
If the lighting device needs to be embedded into a very inaccessible place, using LEDs would virtually eliminate the need for routine bulb replacement.

Saving Money

The key strength of LED lighting is reduced power consumption.
When designed properly, an LED circuit will approach 80% efficiency, which means 80% of the electrical energy is converted to light energy. The remaining 20% is lost as the heat energy.
Compare that with incandescent bulbs which operate at about 20% efficiency (80% of the electrical energy is lost as heat).
In real money terms, if a 100 Watt incandescent bulb is used for 1 year, with an electrical cost of 10 cents/kilowatt hour, $88 will be spent on electricity costs. Of the $88 expense, $70 will have been used to heat the room, not light the room.
If an 80% efficient LED system had been used, the electricity cost would be $23 per year - there would be a cost savings of $65 on electricity during the year.
Realistically the cost savings would be higher as most incandescent light bulbs blow out within a year and require replacements whereas LED light bulbs can be used easily for a decade without burning out.

Pricing and Payback

The main limitation to the adoption of white LED lighting as a lighting standard is the current high cost of led bulbs.
    Although the cost keeps going down, LED light bulbs are still expensive.
   
Although LED's are expensive, the cost is recouped over time and in energy cost savings.
    Factor in that it is significantly cheaper to maintain LED lights, the best value is for commercial use where maintenance and replacement costs are expensive.
    Office lights and factory lights for example, are being switched over to LED’s in many cities.
 
')